San Fernando Mission, Rey de España Mission, the seventeenth of the frontier outposts established by the Franciscans along the El Camino Real, was founded in 1797. It is operated today as a museum outreach of the The Archival Center for the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. Open daily except Christmas and Thanksgiving from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm, the mission serves as a mirror into the life of early California during the Provincial era. For information about the Old Mission, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to 15151 San Fernando Mission Boulevard, Mission Hills, California 91345
The Archival Center, located at the San Fernando Mission, serves as a repository for documents, books and related materials pertaining to the history of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, and its predecessor jurisdictions in California since 1840. Its purpose is to collect, preserve, interpret and provide access to these materials. The Archival Center also conducts a variety of “reach out” programs involving the editing and publication of materials for the benefit of the historical and ministerial community.
Marriages and funerals also take place at the Old Mission.